Wednesday, July 10, 2013

fake it 'til you make it

"Sometimes it is not enough that we do our best; we must do what is required." Winston Churchill

***

There are times when I find myself in an upscale social gathering and ask myself, what am I doing here??

Amidst the ladies and gentlemen dressed to the nines, here I am in a corner, socially awkward: wearing pants and t-shirt, scrolling my phone to appear busy, and randomly smiling at people who look at me and are probably thinking what is she doing here? (It's cocktails time, by the way.)

I am covering a birthday bash of someone I do not know. Apparently, the birthday girl is a social being on top of the societal hierarchy. So what to do? Just do it! Jot down notes, take pictures, tweet the event, and wait until the curtains close.

***

This isn't a rant on one of my coverages rather a post on how amusing, bewildering it is to witness a "sosyalan" when you came to it unprepared. I should have worn a dress had I known. Dressed up or down, what matters most is that I get the details and write the "story".

No comments: