Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Try and Try Until you Succeed"


Dubbed as one of the It girls of modern society, the ‘multi-slasher’ Divine Lee may be today’s epitome of feat and beauty but unknown to many, she was once a damsel in distress.

Sweet success does not come right off the bat, and Divine knows this very well.

I am a frequent visitor of her blog and I find Divine and her online diary very admirable—sweet and feisty, classic and modern, and elegantly kenkay—traits that separate her from the sea of crowd, despite her coming from a well-off family.

One article/blog entry that struck me the most was her autobiography of sorts for a fashion magazine. Despite her achievements, she chose to write and feature her life failures, titled ‘”Try and Try until You Die.” For full article, here.

"I always knew I was mediocre. . I was tall, but not the tallest; I was doing pretty well to be in the honor roll but never the top, and I was likeable because I was funny and entertaining but never because of beauty or grace."
Everyone has his/her share of mediocre moments because one always wants what his/her neighbors have, thus self-pity and less appreciation self.

I am relatively young and do not have much experiences, good or bad, to brag and share off as I am just “starting” my journey on this so called “real world”, but I can say I can totally relate with Divine’s article. Like her, I also want to experience my own failures (which I know I will, in due time) before eventually getting to the brink of my personal triumph.

Although a daughter of a business mogul, Divine did not just stay behind the shadows of her father or family, rather she opted to make a name for herself in the fashion, retail and entertainment industry. It took her years before finally becoming who she is today a model, host, blogger, entrepreneur and Queen Becky. 

Although successful in those fields, Divine also has “failed” dreams, for instance, she wanted to marry a Prince, “but why settle for a Prince when I already have someone who treats me like a Queen.”

I guess there are some childhood dreams we have to outgrow but one thing is certain, we should never give up.  As Divine would fondly call it, it is okay to be TH, “trying hard”.

"So when you see a glammed up version of me in a shoot or fashion spread.  Remember to never to give up. Because underneath those clothes, makeup and curly hair is already a layer of thick warpaint of life’s struggle.  Remember guys, when someone say that you’re TRYING HARD it just means that you’re consciously making an effort and there’s never any shame in that. Use this as a reminder to TRY HARDER J So if ever anyone makes me sign a slambook again, I would gladly sign TRY AND TRY UNTIL YOU DIE."


























No comments: